You want to take a breath, go to the Wild South of Reunion Island … We tried a superb hotel in Terre Rouge. It’s the Terre Rouge Guest House in Vincendo, and it’s a big crush.
Terre Rouge, Cap Jaune… it’s the same place but go find out why, we like make life a bit more complicated!
Hotel in Terre Rouge
Here are all the info about the Terre Rouge guesthouse
Terre Rouge’s bungalows
Open 4 nights per week, from Monday to Thursday, the 3 Terre Rouge’s bungalows are immersed in Fabrice’s tropical garden (Fabrice is the owner). We were in “Le Perchoir” … a very well furnished bungalow which gives the impression of being one with nature! This is of course the goal for the 3 bungalows, each more beautiful than the other!
This accommodation in Terre Rouge does not serve diner, but breakfast is included. For the evening meal, you can: go out to eat, have your meal delivered, or bring your own meal. There is no kitchen but what you need in terms of cutlery, plates, glasses …
Personally, Fabrice offered us Yolaine’ services, a local lady … who for 30 € (for 2) dropped us our traditional Creole meal (starter + main course with meat, fish or vegetarian). It was very good!
We love this offbeat place to stay in Terre Rouge:
- The bungalow itself. Raw and noble materials, it’s beautifully decorated (at least to our taste). There is everything you need inside (king size bed, beautiful bathtub for 2, great view on the garden … Comfort and nature at the same time, you’ll have a rest. Besides, neither doors nor windows in these bungalows, just curtains.
- The “environmental” commitment of its approach. Being very sensitive to this, we are delighted to see that we have almost “zero waste” at the end of our stay. The meal is served in glass tupperware and cloth napkins. At breakfast, almost everything is homemade (with fruit from the garden), and in reusable containers (no capsule for tea or coffee, home made yogurts) … in short, great.
- Terre Rouge guesthouse’s garden… indeed, you can walk in his garden between the flowers and fruit trees that Fabrice takes care of. There are even small corners to sit on, but remember to protect yourself from mosquitoes!
Walk and admire plants and flowers from Terre Rouge guesthouse’s garden in Wild South.
- The small common living room. With wifi (no wifi in the rooms), fridge (which can be used without going too far, a bottle of champagne for example), and books, guides about Reunion and other subjects. You can also have a good homemade ice tea!
- What you can do / explore around… write about this just below. The Terre Rouge guesthouse is well located. There are many things to do around.
- And of course, Fabrice’s welcome. A very kind host, who attend his client’s every need while reducing his environmental impact. But also of this little chameleon who kept us company all evening!
What to do in the surroundings?
Not far at all, there is the little walk of the same name, Terre Rouge trail, or Cap Jaune, you can choose. The original start is from Vincendo’ small harbour, but you can cut directly by continuing the road to reach the Guest House. (see the photos below). It takes 15 mins on foot.
But we are also only a few kilometers from the Langevin river, Manapany or Grande Anse going up towards Saint-Pierre. From the Saint-Philippe coastal walk, the Perfume and Spice garden and the lava road, Sainte-Rose side. In short, in the middle of the Wild South.
How to get there?
Terre Rouge is in Vincendo, between Saint-Pierre and Saint-Philippe in the Wild South of La Réunion. It takes 30 minutes driving from Saint-Pierre.
Coming from Saint-Pierre take the direction of the “route des laves” (lava road) and pass Saint-Joseph town. 5km later, after Langevin, we’ll arrive at Vincendo. Take the Terre Rouge path on the right (in a turn to the left), not so easy to find. After a few minutes, you will find yourself in front of a beautiful stone entrance on the right.
Price, how much is it?
In march 2020, the night in the hotel in Terre Rouge is 115 € for 2 (no matter which bungalow) with breakfast included. Check on their website…
Well, we don’t often write article just about an accommodation, but we had a little crush on this unusual place to stay! We hope that it makes you want to go on a trip to the South Wild of La Reunion.
Feel free to write us a message if you like this article or have any questions!